skip to main content
Search: Keyword:

  About The School  

Nicholls Elementary School

Image for Nicholls Elementary School

Nicholls was chartered as an incorporated city on August 15, 1903.  Nicholls’ first public school, a two-story brick building which cost $10,000.00 to construct, was erected in 1909 and welcomed students in the fall. There were four recitation rooms and an auditorium that seated 300 persons.  Members of the Board of Education who served in 1910 were: Dr. S.L. Vinson, W.M. Brown, W. M. Teston, W.P. Lewis, and E.D. Douglas.  The faculty of Nicholls Public School for the 1910 school term were: Professor F. M. Hunter, principal; Miss Mamie Mc Donald, 1st & 2nd grades; Miss Myrtis Fields, 3rd & 4th grades; Miss Mary Belle Ellmore, 5th & 6th grades; Miss Emma Cadwell, music; and Professor Hunt, 7th & 8th grades. 

The dedication to a quality educational program for students is still just as evident today as when the school was first constructed more than 100 years ago.  The present staff of Nicholls Elementary continues to provide a stable environment for the children of our rural community while offering a personal relationship with parents who share as stakeholders in the immense task of educating our valuable resource for the future, our children.